Ok, listen, I know what I’m about to say might seem like cheap pandering for support and comments, but you’ll just have to trust me that it’s 100% sincere and true and a big part of what’s on my mind lately.

I am SO excited for The Hunger Games movie.

I know at least 60% of you out there just went, “OMG ROIGHT???!??!?” And those of you that didn’t…well…you can just move along.

The thing is, I read a lot of books. But I don’t get invested in a lot of books. I was invested in the Hunger Games. I was invested in Katniss and whether she would end up with Peeta or Gale. I was invested in the evilness of President Snow. I was invested in the answer to whether or not there should be a line in what you are allowed to do to other human beings. I was invested in whether or not Finnick (or anyone else, for the matter) would ever find happiness.

There was a moment in pretty much every book that I started crying.

I mean, I read the first one in less than four hours. I’m not exaggerating. I. Could. Not. Put. It. Down. I took the longest lunch hour of my life because I just couldn’t tear myself away.

The reason why this is in the forefront of my brain is because I just finished re-reading the third book to my husband. We do this on roadtrips – he’ll drive, I’ll read out loud. Like our own books on tape. I even do voices. I know, I commit.

We started the series when we went to Ohio months ago. And we finished it on our way home from Boston.

I’ve always been the type of person who enjoys re-reading books, and these are no exception. For one, I pick up on things I may have missed the first time (when I was tearing through the pages because I needed to know what happened next. For another, I really like when we’re done reading and we talk about the book. I mean, I was a writing major – I LOVE sitting around talking about characters and plot and motivations. LOVE it. I’m the person who would join a book club to actually talk about the book.

And the third book in this series requires a lot of conversation, for me at least. I’ll put it this way: It was really, really hard to get through the first time I read it. Not because the writing is bad (though I would argue a lot of parts feel rushed because there’s basically an entire war crammed in there), but because there is a lot of heavy stuff going down. People you love die. (Yes, I said love. Welcome to my brain.) And there’s really no time to recover from it before the plot is forced to go on.

Total disclosure (without spoiling anything for those who haven’t read it yet): There is one point in the third book where I literally lose it. I bawled the first time I read it, and I cried AGAIN when I read it to Joey. For some reason, it just hits me in the heart place. Like, even now, I’m thinking about it, and I’m just like, “Ugh…dude. I need a minute.”

I would feel like a total weirdo getting so emotional about something that didn’t actually happen, except for one thing. Literally every person I’ve discussed this “scene” with has looked at me and been like, “Yes. That was the moment that broke me too.”

You have to admit it’s pretty amazing when a book can make a bunch of different people have the exact same emotion in the exact same moment. (Ok, maybe not everyone bawled…like I said, I get invested.)

So anyway. I’m really glad they’re making the books into movies, because apparently I’m not ready to let this one go yet. And the first book is my favorite anyway, so I’m excited to see it played out. (Although I have to admit, I will be pissed if they mess it up. (Looking at you, Lionsgate.)

OMG I’M SO EXCITED.

Anyone else?

Also, in case you missed it yesterday, please click on this link to answer a BRIEF anonymous survey. (Seriously, it takes about 30 seconds.) I will be forever grateful!

17 Responses to In which I release my very real emotions about The Hunger Games

OMG RIGHT?? Seriously. And the next ones won’t be out for YEARS. That just breaks my (already quite damaged) heart to pieces.

• Courtney says:

JUSTINE!
    Can I call you Justine? Probably. Anyway… You are in my head because I JUST STARTED THE SECOND BOOK and I JUST POSTED ON FACEBOOK HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. Then I leisurely go through my reader and I see a new post from you! and then I don’t even READ the post because once I know it’s about how much you love The Hunger Games I immediately skip to the comments and start writing this.
    I love this book so much. A love triangle! A strong female protagonist! Complex emotions! It’s like Island of the Blue Dolphin meets Lord of the Flies meets… Twilight.. ugh Twilight (not a fan, but I read them and I see some similarities)

Sorry for yelling at you and exploding with excitement but I find these kinds of serendipitous moments to be a confirmation that I’m exactly where I need to be.

COURTNEY. If you called me anything OTHER than Justine, THAT would be weird. (Unless it was like, “Dear Coolest Person I Know.” I would be ok with that.)

But anyway. I. KNOW. And this is just a feeling that requires yelling, so you TAKE BACK YOUR APOLOGY RIGHT NOW. But seriously, girl. You JUST wait. And then when you finish the whole series and your mind is blown and your emotions are haggard, you come back to me and we will talk this IN TO THE GROUND until you feel better again. Because seriously. I am STILL feeling it.

• Stacey says:

LOVE Hunger Games. Love love love. Even more confirmation of our soulmateyness.

Only 78 Days, 10 Hours and counting until the movie. (Don’t worry, I checked the website for that information and don’t really have that countdown going in my head…constantly.)

If you are looking for a more challenging read, try The Game of Thrones series. I started it after the Hunger Games and am really loving it too…though nothing compares to Katniss :)
    Stacey recently posted..My first time ever making enchiladas. So yummy and fun to…My Profile

I will definitely have to check that out. Because I am going through withdrawal hardcore. It’s so weird how some things just stick with you.

• Margaret says:

I completely agree with you because the books are amazing! However, my very real fear is that the movies will turn the series into the next Twilight. And we simply cannot have that! I’m planning on rereading the books a couple of times this year, while they are still cool… :)

I have the exact same fear! There’s so much pressure on the movies to be great. If they’re not…well, you can imagine my disappointment.

• I agree with you – those books get me all emotional! The first one I was reading on a plane and of course decided to bawl my eyes out. I had to convince the man sitting next to me that I was OK and was just having Katniss drama.

Excited for the movie!
    emily @ go haus go recently posted..A gift from my sister.My Profile

• Heather O says:

I’m with you! I read that series 3x! I also cry during every book! My only problem is that when I read books I set up everything the way I want how the characters look down to ever detail. (example: I caught a glimpse of haymitch, not fat enough in my opinion) I just hope the movies do the series justice.

• Chelsea says:

Yeah, so I totally just picked up the first one and thought I should reread these AGAIN. It’s just such an easy read as far as being able to go through it quickly… but it’s so emotionally demanding! Love it. I’m nervous about the movies… I just have no idea how they can deliver like the book!
    Chelsea recently posted..Chicken Fried Steak and Creamy GravyMy Profile

I’m actually planning to reread the first one (for the third time ha) before the movie comes out. So at least we’re obsessed together!

• Tana Friesth says:

Oh god. Favorite current book series. I read them in less than a week…when I supposed to be writing my senior thesis. Whoops. My boyfriend even ate put he first one and he is not a reader at all so it was so exciting to get to talk about a book with him. He said the other day, “Oh…the Hunger Games movie comes out soon!” I gave him a death glare and said, “March is NOT soon!”

Answer me this….did you get chills at the very end of the trailer when they played Rue’s four notes?

• Libby says:

I am with you! I’m insane over The Hunger Games. My husband is not a reader and I suggested he read this on his next trip and he just tore through all three books. At night he’s request we head to bed early so he could do some more reading. I can’t wait for the movie!

• Sally says:

I walked around dazed for a good few days after finishing the series, and the film trailer just intensified things. I’m currently in this vicious cycle where I get myself all hyped up for the movie and then realise March is an agonizingly long wait away and forget about it for a while… until I come across people who are as equally INVESTED in these series and it all begins again. I am so freaking excited. Eek!

That is exactly how I feel! Like last weekend I was freaking out, so I re-read the first book. That calmed me down. But now your comment has me all amped up again!! GAHH it’s going to be so good!