“OMG. I just thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be great if all your email was delivered at once each morning? So that way, you could go about your day not worrying because there was only one time info could have come?’ And then I thought, ‘Welp, just described the postal system.’ For a split second, I thought I hit on brilliance.”
It’s March 1st. Does anyone else find that to be insane? Well, I do. Anyway.
As I’ve mentioned a few times, I have a couple of weddings this year. One of them I’m in, which makes life easier in that my outfit was selected for me and is already decided and hanging in my closet.
The other…well, there’s the rub.
Not surprisingly (probably), I put a lot of research into dresses I buy for events. (Ok, into any clothing purchases. We all remember the pants.)(I’m actually wearing the black pants right now! They’re awesome, but I need to get the waist tailored.)(I know, I know, you don’t care…)
My biggest problem is that I always come up with a very specific idea of what I want to wear without any consideration for whether or not that idea is actually available anyway. I like to drive myself insane like that.
For this wedding, I want a dress in a bold color (like green or berry…but ideally not blue because I really don’t need ANOTHER blue dress) with some kind of open, drape-y back. I want it short, but not mini, and I would prefer no or short sleeves. I want to look hot, but it’s still someone else’s wedding, so not like, BAM-look-at-me-hott-with-two-T’s. More like turns-my-husband’s-head-hot. (One T.) Oh, and also under $100 if I can find it because I’m returning to my cheap old woman ways.
WHY OH WHY ON EARTH WOULD THAT BE A CHALLENGE TO FIND.
Oh yeah. Because I’m a crazy person who dreams too big.
So anyway. In true me fashion, I hit up the Google for ideas. Here’s a collection of what I found and why it’s not perfect:
1. CUT25 Draped Back Dress in Palm: Ok, so this one is so close to perfect it’s ACTUALLY painful. Perfect color, good shape (maybe a little tight on the caboose, but the hubs wouldn’t complain). Only problem? check the price tag. Plus, there’s only ONE left, and while that usually is my size, I would feel safer going a size up since it looks tightish. But mostly, check the price tag.
2. Bebe Open Back Shine Dress: Also very close EXCEPT. The price is a little high, and the bridesmaid dresses for the wedding are the same color. Sorry, not going to be that girl.
3. Akira Black Label Open Back Drape Sleeve Dress in Royal Blue: So this is actually the closest to perfect and I may actually buy it. The only issues: I would prefer NOT blue and they’re out of my size. But the waist cinches, so I think I could get away with a size up. And I guess I could deal with another blue dress…if I don’t find any other options.
4. Warehouse Exposed Back Dress: LOVE this dress. But it’s expensive and…well..white. I also refuse to be that girl at the wedding.
5. ASOS Sexy Cowl Back Dress in Mink: Close, but a bit tight and short. Blah, I’m getting tired of the same excuses. The price is nice, though.
6. Joanne Kitten Open-Back Pleated Dress: This is actually another promising option. I like the cut of it, the color is ok, the back works. I just don’t…it’s not drape-y. I think that’s the problem.
7. French Connection Dress with Strip Back Detail: I LOVE the back of this dress. It’s amazing. And the overall cut is great too. But it’s navy, which is basically blue except MORE common in my closet. And it’s too expensive. Blerg.
So what I’m saying is that the search continues. And since y’all are such great problem solvers, I’m hoping you’ll share any colorful, drape-y, open-back-but-not-slutty dresses you know of in the comments. Worst case scenario (which isn’t even all that bad), I’m going with the blue Akira dress. (It’s also available in red, but it’s like WHOA RED. Not sure I can pull off that color.)
I really, really, really love this dress in blush, but I have no idea who makes it (and let’s face it, I probably can’t afford it):
Any help out there? Or are you searching for something really specific that I can help you find? I’m pretty good at this whole “online searching” thing.