When my dear friend Megan told me she was making over her dressing room, I immediately wanted to help.
Well, after I put aside my overwhelming feelings of jealousy that she had room for a dressing room, I immediately wanted to help.
She had seen my post on my ideas for my own bedroom decor, so I guess she trusted me to pull together a mood board for her. You guys know I love this stuff, so I jumped on the chance.
First, I had Megan send me a few pictures of the space currently.
Totally adorable right? Megan told me she wanted to capture a sort of Old Hollywood glamour-vibe, and told me this was her dream dressing room:
All together now: Oooooh! Ahhhh!
So I set out to give Megan a glamorous, vintage-y, romantic space with a touch of modern accessories to keep the look fresh. Here’s what I came up with:
Now, let’s break it down, shalllll we?
First things first, I think Megan needs to add some built-in storage on the side walls like we see in her dream closet photo. IKEA has a pretty inexpensive line of closet storage shelves and racks, called the Antonius Storage System, that I think would be a great start, along with a Billy bookshelf for shoes and purses.
Ok, on to the pretty stuff! I worked off of the existing Robin’s Egg Blue walls with crisp white molding and the rich, mocha floors to create a robin’s egg, teal, white, gold, and grey palette for the room. Next, I suggested adding these items:
1. Home Linen Grommet Window Sheer from Target ($17.99). Though I love how the two windows in the room let in a ton of natural light, Megan was (rightfully) a little concerned about undressing in front of her entire neighborhood. A few dreamy linen curtains will give her the privacy she needs without taking away from the brightness of the room.
2. Brass Tiered Pendant Shade from Urban Outfitters ($64). I initially started out looking for a crystal-esque chandelier for the room, but when I saw this bold pendant shade, I knew it was a winner. The geometric styling is great for giving the room a glamorous, yet contemporary look.
3. Accessories! Here, I’ve assembled a collection of details to dress up the space. These Tissue Tassels in Seaside ($30) would be great draped over the windows or above the vanity. As for the prints, I asked Megan where her favorite place to travel is (California) and I know she loves Disney, so I picked out this California Love State Print in Teal ($15) and this Cinderella Print ($12) to hang on the wall by the dressing area or near Megan’s shoe storage. I also love this Colors 35 by Cocoa & Hearts ($95). It’s no longer available, but I think we could make something similar.
4. Wall Caddy Shelf from Urban Outfitters ($19). Personally, I hate clutter on tables and desks. Which is why I’m loving these romantic wire wall caddies. I’m thinking Megan can hang a couple of them near the vanity to hold toiletries and accessories. (Bonus: With the addition of a few hooks, you could even hang jewelry off of it!)
5. Vanity mirror and accessories. I lumped these two items together because the images I have above are more for inspiration. I’d love to find Megan an antique gold oval mirror to hang on the wall above the vanity like this Gold Mirror from Amazon ($125). I actually have a similar rectangular version I found at Goodwill for about $20, so something like that would be ideal. I would also like to find her a vintage gold tray (like this Gold Filigree Tray, $15) or jewelry holder, like this Vintage Sky Blue Ceramic Flower Bowl ($10) to set on the vanity as a catch-all for rings, earring, and other small accessories.
6. Vanity and stool. While this vanity from Target is no longer available, I did find this Leksvik desk from IKEA ($125). It’s solid wood, so we could sand, prime, and paint it white, or check out thrift stores for a similar option with feminine lines and a drawer or two. The Simply Shabby Chic Classic Vanity Stool is from Target ($35.99), and we could recover the seat in a rich grey velvet for a bit more glamour.
7. Gray Chevron Lumbar Pillow ($14). Another modern detail we could throw in would be this trendy grey pillow, set on top of…
8. …this Lift Top Storage Ottoman in Cream from Target ($112.09). I see this under the far window as you walk into the room. It’s the perfect place to sit when you’re putting on your shoes, and you can keep linens and other accessories in the storage cavity. (Don’t you love a piece that does double duty?)
9. Chevron Gold Metallic Drawer Liners from Hammocks & High Tea ($25). See how in Megan’s inspiration photo every surface is covered in a glossy metallic paper? This adds style to the space and keeps the whole look cohesive. For all of the drawers and shelves Megan will be adding in, I think she should definitely consider covering them with a glittery paper, like this chevron version. Giving all those surfaces a consistent cover will give the room a pulled-together look — plus it’s a nice surprise every time you open a drawer!
10. Rens Sheepskin Rug from IKEA ($29.99). Finally, Megan should throw down a small, cozy area rug to give the room softness and break up the dark floor.
I don’t know about you, but I would love to get ready in a place like this (and hopefully Megan agrees!).
Do you have a dressing area in your bedroom or closet? (Or an entire room like lucky Megan?) What decor have you added to the space?
Don’t forget! You have until Sunday night at 11:59 p.m. EST to enter the Estylo Cufflinks Giveaway! The prize is pretty amazing (and perfect for anyone getting hitched this year), so be sure to check it out and leave a comment to enter.